Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Pizza

It's my first post of this blog that contains food! Yay!

I made pizza dough with Sabine when she was here visiting and didn't bake it up until tonight. It was yummy! I followed the basic idea from the recipe here: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/recipes/pizza and edited the recipe by substituting 1.5 cups wheat flour for the all purpose flour and then edited the water as needed. We also left out the sugar/honey and were careful not to add the salt until the flour had been worked in so that the yeast was at it's full potential. We set the dough in a greased baggy in the fridge for two days then I took it out this morning and put it in a greased bowl with a towel over top to sit out all day. Granted, it's cool here so I could let it sit out all day, you people in SC...don't let it sit out that long. When I got home, I pulled the dough out and pressed it into a pizza pan in a somewhat round shape.

I topped the dough with a sauce made from small diced tomatoes simmered with oregano, basil, and garlic (pretty similar to the website recipe) and scooped it out with a slotted spoon to top the pizza with. I'd say I used half a cup or so...you don't want it too moist or your dough won't cook properly. I then topped this one with prosciutto and slices of mozzarella rather than shredded for that homemade look. I preheated my oven and the put in my pizza for 9 minutes (my oven isn't the hottest thing ever...) and then checked the crust...it needed another 2 minutes and then was perfect! Here's the results!


I served my pizza with a side of spinach salad. I sliced an avocado and made a little vinaigrette dressing. Basically, 1/4 lemon juice, few tablespoons olive oil, dime size of Dijon mustard and salt and pepper to taste. The mustard helps to emulsify the dressing so that you don't have to be as careful with the measurements plus it adds nice flavor and a hint of spiciness.

Bon appetit!

3 comments:

  1. Are there any leftovers?
    I Won't say i'll come over
    but hey I am just trying!
    As if I would be flying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a weakness for homemade pizza. I was just talking about pizza combos with my mom the other night. My favorite combo for summer: monzarella, sliced fresh tomatoes, basil, and red onions. YUM! Can't wait for summer.

    ReplyDelete