Sunday, January 10, 2010

Belgian Fries

I've been making fries for a long time and I admit, I've gotten lazy lately and have been skipping steps and the fries (and us) have suffered. I decided to do them right today and make them more Belgian-y.

This is the recipe I used for an Olivier and a pregnant Jenny...probably enough to serve 4 reasonable people

2 medium russet potatoes
oil
salt

1. Wash potatoes and peel skins
2. Chop into 1cm wide rectangles using a handy-dandy slicer or careful knife skills
3. Put into a medium bowl and add enough cold water to cover fries. Let sit 5 minutes
4. Rinse fries in cold water and move to baking sheet lined with paper towel

5. Dry fries thoroughly and let rest while oil heats up to 325F.
6. Cook in small (1 cup or generous handful) batches for 4-5 minutes. Fries should not brown but some might take on a bit of color. Move cooked fries to dry and rest on paper towel lined baking sheet. Repeat until all fries are pre-cooked. (Took me 3 batches)
7. Let rest for 10-15 minutes and heat oil to 375F.

8. Cook in same small batches in oil for 2-3 minutes or until light - medium brown in color.
9. Move again to paper towel lined baking sheet and let rest for 1-2 minutes. Season with salt to taste. Let a Belgian eat them.


Other pictures from tonight...

Nothing stands in the way of a man craving hamburgers...no amount of snow or frigid temperatures

I shall call him, Icy Grill Master

While grilling, icicles...

become weapons of mass destruction for the possessed grill master! Like I said, nothing gets in his way...

3 comments:

  1. The icy grillmaster eh! I challenge Olivier to a duel. Steaks your grill in three weeka. And bring the icicle.L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deal- but let's leave the icicles out of this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've missed your posts! Keep 'em coming! :)

    ReplyDelete