Sunday, March 8, 2009

Oatmeal Banana Cookies

A nice break from banana bread. :)

I saw this on Allrecipes.com and thought, hmmm, how bad could it be?
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Banana-Oatmeal-Cookie/Detail.aspx

I altered the recipe, of course, and I think it came out really well. I copied the recipe and edited in my changes below.

* 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 3/4 cup shortening
* 3/4 cup white sugar
* 1 egg
* 1 cup mashed bananas (3-4 medium bananas)
* 1 3/4 cups quick cooking oats
DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
3. Cream together the shortening and sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Add egg, banana and oatmeal. Mix well.
4. Add dry ingredients, mix well and drop by the teaspoon on a max paper coated cookie sheet.
5. Bake at 375 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 15-20 minutes or until edges turn lightly brown. Cool on wire rack. I froze half in a large freezer bag and kept the rest for snacks during the week. They are great with a glass of milk, lactose free of course. ;)


I know the pic is dark but it's all rainy and tornado-ey outside so my kitchen is dark.

Why I made changes:
I lowered the temperature because I made my first batch at 400 and the bottoms were burnt :( at 375 then were nicely brown on the bottom but were moist on top. I reduced the sugar because I don't like things too sweet but feel free to mess with it. I thought about leaving it out all together and using honey as a sweetener but haven't done that yet.

Also, for you peanut butter lovers, I could see this working well with a 1/2 cup peanut butter if you add 2 tablespoons or water or milk to then think it back out.

No comments:

Post a Comment